[Dixielandjazz] Re: Blues over Bodega (Lu Watters)

Bob Shoring bobshoring at california.com
Wed Apr 9 22:34:16 PDT 2003

Thanks Dan and everyone for all this great info.  This is a great
album, and I continue to be amazed at how good Lu sounds on trumpet
considering he had stopped playing for years when this album was
recorded.  After all, Lu quit the music business when Hambone Kelly's
closed on New Year's day 1951.  As far as I know the only other time
he played publicly after that was an appearance at Earthquake McGoon's,
besides this album.  And Bob Helm was terrific on clarinet and
occasional soprano sax on this album.  Besides "Blues over Bodega" and
"San Andreas Fault" two other Lu Watters' compositions are on that
album -- "The Villain" and "Emperor Norton's Hunch."

Regards,
Bob Shoring
San Francisco