[Dixielandjazz] Re: Blues over Bodega

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Apr 9 21:17:26 PDT 2003

>Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2003 11:42:32 -0700
>From: Bob Shoring <bobshoring at california.com>
>
>Does anyone know if Lu Watters was the composer of "Blues over Bodega?"
>This is a tune Lu recorded in 1963 as part of an album of the same name.
>
>--
>Regards, Bob Shoring.............San Francisco, California, USA
>bobshoring at california.com
**------------------------------------------------------------------------**

Bill Haesler replied that:
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 08:31:54 +1000
From: "Bill Haesler" <bhaesler at nsw.bigpond.net.au>
Dear Bob,
Regarding: >Does anyone know if Lu Watters was the composer of "Blues over
Bodega?"
>This is a tune Lu recorded in 1963 as part of an album of the same name.<
The answer is - yes. Although the album title on my copy says the 'Memories Of
The Bodega Battle'.
And do not overlook the other Lu W original on that LP.
"San Andreas Fault".  A great tune.
Question? Has this LP (Homespun H-105) ever been reissued on CD?
Kind regards,
Bill.
PS: Thank you for reminding me of that record. I am playing it now.
Great stuff.
But is it 'dixieland'?
8>)     Just kidding!

Phil O'Rourke replied that:
From: "Phil O'Rourke" <philor at webone.com.au>
To: "Bill Haesler" <bhaesler at nsw.bigpond.net.au>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 08:59:53 +1000
Bill et al
I have a Watters' CD entitled "Blues Over Bodega" but it has none of the
tracks mentioned.
It was recorded at a protest rally against building a nuclear power plant.
The Murphy band made up the rest of the musicians.
I don't know if the radicals that wanted to construct the power plant got
away with it or not..
Phil OR

My response:
     I also have a CD entitled "Blues over Bodega" (Good Time Jazz
GTJCD-12006-2, 2000; see www.fantasyjazz.com). It was originally
recorded in 1963 and released (it says) as Fantasy 5016.  It was
remastered in 1999.
     The tunes are: San Andreas Fault, See See Rider, The Villain,
Some of These Days, Blues over Bodega, Willie the Weeper, Pork and
Beans, San Francisco Bay Blues, and Emperor Norton's Hunch.  The
players are Lu Watters (tr), Bob Mielke (tbn), Bob Helm (clar), Bob
Short (tuba/bass), Monte Ballou (banjo), Wally Rose (piano), Thad
Vanden (drums), and Barbara Dane (vocals).
     Lu Watters is listed as the composer of "Blues over Bodega"
("publ. unknown").  P. G. & E. abandoned plans for a nuclear power
plant at Bodega Head (See
http://www.fsm-a.org/stacks/AP_files/APBodegaHead.html).

     Dan
--
**  Dan Augustine     Austin, Texas     ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu  **
**     "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench,       **