[Dixielandjazz] What is Dixieland? From the DJML's FAQ page...

BudTuba at aol.com BudTuba at aol.com
Wed Apr 9 17:42:50 PDT 2003

In a message dated 4/8/03 9:02:05 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tyleman at toast.net
writes:

> Dixieland is a term used by the general public to identify jazz music
> from the era prior to big-band swing. The term "Dixieland" generally refers
> to jazz music played in an
> improvisational, contrapuntal style, with a group consisting of trumpet,
> clarinet, trombone, piano, bass instrument, banjo and drums.
>

> So why should we use that name?

In our promotion information we refer to our music as Traditional Dixieland
Jazz just to appease everybody, but that heading allows us to expand on the
historical aspect which we try to emulate and thereby separate ourselves from
the sing-along type of band that "jazzes up" everything.  You notice that my
handle below drops the Dixieland reference, since we all really understand
the difference.

Bud Taylor
Smugtown Stompers
Rochester, NY