[Dixielandjazz] Dixieland

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 9 11:28:48 PDT 2003

Ron Wheeler wrote from Wake Is. (polite snip)

<"If it's just jazz, then you'll have Steve Barbone doing his 'I
remember Monk' ">

Oh Oh, I guess this means I have to put away my 78 of Monk doing "Sweet
Georgia Brown" in his modern Dixieland style of the late 1930s.  ;-)
VBG.

For a treat list mates, look up "Dixieland" in your dictionary. Mine
(Webster's 1998) says:

DIXIELAND: adj. "in, of, or like a style of small band, improvised jazz
characterized by fast ragtime tempos and a strict beat, and associated
historically with early white New Orleans musicians."

Don't shoot the messenger, I'm only stating a fact, not commenting on
it. For more information, comments, etc., folks might want to read, or
re-read Richard Sudhalter's book "Lost Chords", especially the chapter
on (of all things) DIXIELAND.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone