[Dixielandjazz] AGF bands

Don Kirkman donkirk at covad.net
Fri Apr 4 00:45:07 PST 2003

On Fri, 04 Apr 2003 17:50:14 +1000, Bill Haesler wrote:

>Dear US friends, who were around during WW2.
>I have had an enquiry asking which ex-Count Basie tenor sax man served in
>England, as a US band serviceman, during the 2nd World War.
>The only candidate I can come up with may be Jack Washington who was with (and I
>quote from John Chilton's 'Who's Who of Jazz') "the 211th AGF Band at Fort Sill,
>Oklahoma until demobilisation in late 1945".
>Various Google searches failed to satisfactorily tell me what AGF stands for.
>Nor could I find any history of the band(s), which seem to have been Army field
>groups located all over the USA.
>I hate mysteries!

According to http://www.armyavnmuseum.org/history/war/ww2/overview.html,
during WW II before the US Air Force became a separate service US Army
commands were divided into Army Air Forces (AAF) and Army Ground Forces
(AGF).

That page doesn't seem to have any information about the bands, though.
--
Don
donkirk at covad.net