[Dixielandjazz] AGF bands

Bill Haesler bhaesler at nsw.bigpond.net.au
Fri Apr 4 17:50:14 PST 2003

Dear US friends, who were around during WW2.
I have had an enquiry asking which ex-Count Basie tenor sax man served in
England, as a US band serviceman, during the 2nd World War.
The only candidate I can come up with may be Jack Washington who was with (and I
quote from John Chilton's 'Who's Who of Jazz') "the 211th AGF Band at Fort Sill,
Oklahoma until demobilisation in late 1945".
Various Google searches failed to satisfactorily tell me what AGF stands for.
Nor could I find any history of the band(s), which seem to have been Army field
groups located all over the USA.
I hate mysteries!
Kind regards,
Bill.