[Dixielandjazz] Band For Ball Games

Robert S. Ringwald ringwald at calweb.com
Thu Apr 3 19:41:16 PST 2003

Throughout the 80s, I often played in a band for the Los Angeles Raiders
Football games.

We didn't actually play for the games as Horrace Heydt had a very large
17-piece (or so) band in the stadium.

We played for 3 hours before the game, walking around the LA Coliseum
entertaining the folks having Tailgate parties.

What a time we had.  It was hard to get in a tune as we were constantly
being offered food & drink.  Needless to say, we always accepted.

We would play the last 1/2 hour at the Press Gate.  Five minutes before the
game started, Magic Johnson would always (without fail) pass right by us
with a couple friends.  He never missed a game.

The weekend that he got married back east on a Saturday, we were taking bets
as to whether he would make the game the next day in LA.  Sure enough, 5
minutes before the game, in walks Magic, with friends, without wife.

What brings this up was the instrumentation.  Since the Raiders didn't want
to spend the money, we had only 5 pieces, tpt, cl, tbn, banjo & tuba--no
washboard or drums.  It would have been nice to have the dr or wb but with a
good strong banjo player, (moi) it worked just fine.

Bob
mr.wonderful at ringwald.com
Placerville, CA, USA, Earth, Sol's System, Milky Way
Amateur (ham) Radio Station K6YBV
Fulton Street Jazz Band
See: http://www.ringwald.com
Boondockers Jazz & Comedy Band