[Dixielandjazz] Norfolk VA DJ band at the ballpark

Charlie Hooks charliehooks at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 2 09:53:36 PST 2003

on 4/1/03 11:29 PM, Don Gumpert at dongumpert at cox.net wrote:

> Charlie, you have no idea how much we have always enjoyed the band at the
> Cubs games!  At one time, Atlanta had a great jazz band - last time I was
> there and had a chance to talk to one of the band members, found out he was
> actually with the Atlanta Symphony and just picking up a few extra
> dollars...and knew very little about dixieland jazz.  Sad.
> Regards,
> Sandy Gumpert

Ah, Sandy!

    Would that CSO players here in Chicago could make extra bucks in the
dixieland field--i.e., that the bucks were there to be made!

    Our principal clarinet, Larry Coombs, could play it-- but then, Larry
can play anything--literally anything: all kinds of jazz.

    Our French horn player, Dale Clevinger, arguably the best in the world
at present, tries to play jazz and fails miserably.  But he won't give up,
and we all admire him for being willing to make a fool of himself if that's
what happens.  Dale is such a monster player that he doesn't have to prove
one damn thing musically, so he just has fun--which is the point of playing
jazz, right?

Charlie