[Dixielandjazz] Re: When I'm 64

Charlie Hooks charliehooks@earthlink.net
Mon, 30 Sep 2002 15:00:43 -0500

on 9/29/02 8:31 PM, SLGTJB at slgtjb@earthlink.net wrote:

> His comments are
> resourceless, amateur, indifferent, and myopic in my opinion (and in the
> opinions of many millions more).  I'm trying to think of all the Glenn
> Gould tunes I know??

Wow!  Let's see here--resourceless, amateur, indifferent, and myopic!  No
kidding!  I seldom see argument so well reasoned as this! Have you ever
tried simple ad hominem?

And the depth of insight by the "many millions more" is staggering!  Surely
each of these millions knows more of music than a mere player whose
recording of The Goldberg Variations looks to be the standard set for all
time.  You will look in vain for Glenn Gould's "tunes."

But had he only listened to "the great variety, the subtleties,
interesting chord progressions, and lyrics" of the Four Young Masters, he
would never have bothered with a dullard like Johann Sebastian Bach!  Gould
meant well, but he was clearly deaf.

cordially,
Charlie