[Dixielandjazz] Re: When I'm 64

SLGTJB slgtjb@earthlink.net
Sun, 29 Sep 2002 19:31:42 -0600

on 9/29/02 4:55 PM, Tony Davis at tony@tony-davis.co.uk wrote:

> It's the late Glenn Gould's analysis of the Beatles' music:
>
> "Theirs is a happy, cocky, belligerently resourceless brand
> of harmonic primitivism... In the Liverpudlian repertoire, the indulged
> amateurishness of the musical material, though closely rivaled by the
> indifference of the performing style, is actually surpassed only by the
> ineptitude of the studio production method. "Strawberry Fields" suggests a
> chance encounter at a mountain wedding between Claudio Monteverdi and a jug
> band."
>
> Wonderful stuff!  (Gould's comments, I mean, not "Strawberry Fields").

Guess I must be stupid for loving the great variety, the subtleties,
interesting chord progressions, and lyrics all these years from an almost
teenaged band.  Resourceless?  primitivism?  indulged amateurishness?
Indifference of the performing style?

My regard for Glenn Gould just dropped about 93%.  His comments are
resourceless, amateur, indifferent, and myopic in my opinion (and in the
opinions of many millions more).  I'm trying to think of all the Glenn
Gould tunes I know??

Cary Hobbs