[Dixielandjazz] Lil Armstrong (remark about passport listingdivorce of Lil)

Rob McCallum rakmccallum@hotmail.com
Mon, 30 Sep 2002 13:15:16 -0400

Hello all,

Not to stray too far from the subject of jazz (but seeing as jazz developed
from the musical culture of slaves and freedmen) there is a direct link to
the Civil War.  Though what Charlie Hooks said is true regarding the
technicalities regarding the Emancipation Proclamation and Mr. Lincoln's
support of a back to Africa movement (which, in hindsight, was ludicrous
because slaves were Americans and NOT Africans by the mid nineteenth
century), the fact is that the cause of the Civil War (or The War Between
the States) was slavery and all the issues that surrounded it.  Those who
say that's not true and that it was to save the Union had better inquire why
the Union needed saving!!  True that most Americans (and even some
abolitionists) did not believe that black slaves were "equal" to whites
(whatever that meant) but there certainly was a persistent feeling of guilt
among many (especially Christians) in the North that there was, at best,
base hypocrisy in enslaving humans and at worst, a serious sin.  The Civil
War coincided with the expansion of the United States westward and whether
or not, and what parts, were going to be free and which slave.  This
controversy centers around the idea that slavery would be expanding out of
the South and into the West (making the conflict inevitable).  This had
major economic ramifications.  The South also had, for all intents and
purposes, no cost labor, and there was criticism even among many capitalists
that that was an unfair advantage to those who had to pay their laborers
(which, incidentally, was also a tactic used to foster racism among the poor
whites).

Regarding emancipation in the North, it was only an issue in regard to the
loyal border states.  The Emancipation did have the practical effect of
"freeing" the slaves, and it was later incorporated into Constitutional
amendments.  Of course, the South was devastated after the conflict and
there was wide variance from region to region (and even town to town and
plantation to plantation- i.e. there can be no blanket generalization) as to
the manner in which freed blacks lived.  Of course, during and after
Reconstruction with the closing of the Freedmen's Bureau and the coming of
Jim Crow Laws, Blacks in the South once again lost their civil rights.

Of course the Emancipation Proclamation was a war measure, and a very
successful one, but there is so much more to it than that.  Catch phrases
like "feel good liberals" are meaningless regarding that time and that
conflict.

Jazz Content?  Everything from the Sorrow Songs forward.

All the best,
Rob McCallum