[Dixielandjazz] Temptation Blues (was Oliver, Morton)

briantowers briantowers@msn.com
Sun, 29 Sep 2002 11:52:06 -0400

> At issue was Oliver's "Camp meeting blues", which Ellington appropriated
as
> "Creole love call". Oliver had right on his side but Ellington had the law
> on his - Oliver had copyrighted "Camp meeting blues" under its original
> title "Temptation blues" but failed to record it under that title. A bad
> mistake for Oliver and an episode that dents Ellington's saintly image.
>
> All the best
> Anton

As a matter of interest, I have a copy of the original handwritten lead
sheet for this song.   While the composer is signed as Joe Oliver, the lead
sheet/arrangement was written out by somebody else.   And guess who's
writing ?   The amazing Lillian Johnson/ Hardin/ Armstrong!    "Working Man
Blues" was submitted on the same date (August 11/23) same arranger.

Our accomplished researcher - Audrey Van Dyke spent a lot of time at the
Library of Congress copyright office laast year and summarised her findings
in a writing to the DJML dated January 21/2001 - I kept a copy, it was such
a creditable piece of work.   The number of  compositions registered by King
Oliver, where Lillian is shown as the arranger, is staggering.   Her
invaluable contribution to King Oliver's Creole Jazz Band went far beyond
her pianist abilities.
This hugely talented and overly modest lady was truly one of the giants of
the definitive classic jazz styles of the 1920's.   As the years go by, we
learn more of her achievements.   Don Ingle - get working on that biography!

cheers,

Brian Towers
Toronto.