[Dixielandjazz] Louis Armstrong

JimDBB@aol.com JimDBB@aol.com
Sun, 29 Sep 2002 00:08:49 EDT

--part1_a.25f19537.2ac7d6d1_boundary

In a message dated 9/28/02 3:36:11 PM Central Daylight Time,
barbonestreet@earthlink.net writes:

> Art Wood wrote about the joy of seeing Louis Armstrong perform, which I
> too experienced a few times. And much is made of his happy demeanor and
> stage presence. He was a giant.
>
> However, some of us may get a big shock when Queens College in New York
> City releases all of those personal tapes that Louis made during the All
> Star Years. When his home/museum opens, I understand verbal portions of
> those tapes will be made available. And that some of his recorded
> thoughts are not the sweetness and light we generally associate with
> him, but a deep bitterness and resentment against the way he was treated
> by many during his lifetime.
>
> Not that it is unjustified.
>
> Steve Barbone

   I, for one, think that it is wrong to release those personal tapes where
he is venting about this and that.  How many of us would want personal tapes
released where we had sounded off on this person and that? Not many.  What
would the purpose be in releasing them...so that all of those who never, ever
liked Armstrong can be bemused
and titillated?

A bad idea.

Jim Beebe

--part1_a.25f19537.2ac7d6d1_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 9/28/02 3:36:11 PM Central Daylight Time, barbonestreet@earthlink.net writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">Art Wood wrote about the joy of seeing Louis Armstrong perform, which I<BR>
too experienced a few times. And much is made of his happy demeanor and<BR>
stage presence. He was a giant.<BR>
<BR>
However, some of us may get a big shock when Queens College in New York<BR>
City releases all of those personal tapes that Louis made during the All<BR>
Star Years. When his home/museum opens, I understand verbal portions of<BR>
those tapes will be made available. And that some of his recorded<BR>
thoughts are not the sweetness and light we generally associate with<BR>
him, but a deep bitterness and resentment against the way he was treated<BR>
by many during his lifetime.<BR>
<BR>
Not that it is unjustified.<BR>
<BR>
Steve Barbone</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; I, for one, think that it is wrong to release those personal tapes where he is venting about this and that.&nbsp; How many of us would want personal tapes released where we had sounded off on this person and that? Not many.&nbsp; What would the purpose be in releasing them...so that all of those who never, ever liked Armstrong can be bemused<BR>
and titillated?&nbsp; <BR>
<BR>
A bad idea.<BR>
<BR>