[Dixielandjazz] Nancy Giffin

Bill Haesler bhaesler@nsw.bigpond.net.au
Sun, 29 Sep 2002 13:42:30 +1000

Dear friends,
Sorry to use the DJML for this, but I sent an off-list thank for informatio=
n to
Nancy Giffin, which was returned with a message. 'Your message was not deli=
vered
because the return address was refused.'
Others may be interested in the exchange so it is reproduced below.
I hope Nancy does not mind.
Kind regards,
Bill.

Bill,
Your friend and mine played together this week in Toronto.
Below is a review of one of their sets at "the Montreal Bistro."
Perhaps Bob will still be in town on Sept. 30th when Jim Galloway will be
knighted by the French government for his contributions to French culture i=
Toronto (and also because they are still in love with Bechet over there? Ji=
plays in France every summer). Sure wish I could attend!
Love and hugs,
Nancy

Sept. 25, 2002 -- The Star (Toronto)

Quintet does jazz the quality way

By Geoff Chapman, Music Critic

An abundance of fine playing is to be heard on the Montreal Bistro bandstan=
this week, representing (with apologies to youthful-looking guitarist Reg
Schwager) getting on for 300 years of talent.

Australian cornet ace Bob Barnard is heading up a United Nations quintet
there through Saturday, its members owing allegiance to Scotland, Holland
and the U.S. =8B but the group has as its singular calling card just one aim,
top quality jazz.

Barnard is in the company of Jim Galloway =8B who showed he's not just a
member of the exclusive club of curved soprano sax tooters by playing alto
and baritone saxophone (the latter bari bari well) =8B the versatile Schwager=
,
comfortable in any genre, and American stalwarts Keter Betts on bass and
Jackie Williams on drums.

Their tunes are drawn from what used to be called mainstream, the
swing-driven sounds of the Count Basie small groups and their
co-conspirators. Everyone gets to solo on tunes that are very easy on the
ear, defying venue patrons not to hum, tap and nod along with its impulses
no matter the overall tempo.

Barnard plays cornet in the great tradition of Bobby Hackett and Ruby Braff=
,
with clean lines, flexible phrasing and a consuming warmth that is firmly
grounded in tradition. On all numbers, especially "The Very Thought Of You"
and his feature piece "Somebody Loves You," his piquant ideas seemed
eminently right.

The companionable rapport established with Galloway and the gang at last
night's first set was evident from the start, even though the play list was
a spur-of-the-moment invention. All pay serious attention to the essential
ingredients of this music's appeal, melody and swing.

Schwager's well-fashioned statements were a real pleasure and the joyful
pulse from low-note anchor Betts (who played Toronto with Ella Fitzgerald)
and the resilient Williams kept the beat simmering until the horns reheated
the themes. They were very effective, notably on the Basie line "Taps
Miller."

See them. If you can't, get the CD that's being recorded this week for the
Sackville label.

Dear Nancy,
Many thanks for the information re me mate Bob Barnard.
He is indeed world class.
Although his main influence has always been Louis, and I can hear some Braf=
(particularly after they met in Brisbane, Australia in the 1980s [we were
there]), I can't hear much Hackett, but a lot of Billy Butterfield.
Love to you,
Bill.