[Dixielandjazz] Louis Armstrong

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet@earthlink.net
Sat, 28 Sep 2002 16:39:36 -0400

Art Wood wrote about the joy of seeing Louis Armstrong perform, which I
too experienced a few times. And much is made of his happy demeanor and
stage presence. He was a giant.

However, some of us may get a big shock when Queens College in New York
City releases all of those personal tapes that Louis made during the All
Star Years. When his home/museum opens, I understand verbal portions of
those tapes will be made available. And that some of his recorded
thoughts are not the sweetness and light we generally associate with
him, but a deep bitterness and resentment against the way he was treated
by many during his lifetime.

Not that it is unjustified.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone