[Dixielandjazz] Trombone Carry On

Stan Brager sbrager@socal.rr.com" <sbrager@socal.rr.com
Thu, 26 Sep 2002 15:42:20 -0700

Hi,

Thanks to all (Art Wood, Pat Cooke, the 2 Bobs - Ringwald and Williams,
Charlie Hooks, and Dave Hanson) who gave me advice about travelling with an
instrument.

I've returned from my visit to Boulder and my experience with the Trombone
Carry-on was wonderful. I flew United from Burbank to Denver and back.

Before the flight, I called United's customer service and was told that the
size of the trombone made it against United's carry-on regulations.
Customer Service also remarked that it was up to flight personnel as to
whether or not the trombone could be carried on the plane.

When I arrived at the Burbank airport, I simply carried the trombone with
me as one would carry a banjo or guitar. Only the guy as the x-ray machine
made a remark "Hey, I see that you've got a trumpet in there." I nodded and
smiled. At United's flight check in desk, I got my boarding pass and didn't
say anything to the personnel there figuring that it would be best NOT to
make an issue of the trombone.

There were no problems carrying the horn on board - the overhead
compartments were quite roomy.

As an added note, the x-ray attendant correctly noted that she had scanned
a trombone.

Stan
Stan Brager
Trombonist-in-Training