[Dixielandjazz] Re: Occupational Marks

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet@earthlink.net
Thu, 26 Sep 2002 16:30:03 -0400

Fred Spencer wrote about clarinet thumb callus', which pprompts this question.

Fred & Reed player List Mates

I have a big callus on my thumb where the axe rests. Occasionally it hurts. Then I trim the top of it off with a nail clipper. Feel no pain till it grows back.

For all of us clarinet players with thumb callus' is there any problem that you know of associated with doing that?  I had it biopsied last year and the Doctor said no skin cancer there, just callus.

Have also padded the thumb rest on the horn and that helps quite a bit.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone