[Dixielandjazz] Dr. Jazz, Telephone Central, and Teachers' Salaries

Charlie Hooks charliehooks@earthlink.net
Thu, 26 Sep 2002 15:19:03 -0500

on 9/26/02 12:11 PM, George Thurmond at gmthur@delrio.com wrote:

> Finally, with those kind of Cook County teacher's salaries, why do the
> teachers up there strike so much?  If Charlie's post gets to our Texas
> school teachers, their migration to Chicago will top that of the 1917 exodus
> from N.O. to that city!

These saleries are for master teachers with MA degrees and years of
experience in wealthy districts.  My wife is currently at the top of her
salery scale; however, her salery will rise each year, based on her present
top-level scale, so that if she teaches until she's 65 (she's just turned 49
yesterday), another 16 years, she'll near if not pass the 100,000 level.
Even if she retires at 55 (which they encourage, and it's obvious why they
do), she'll still be in pretty good shape.  Plus, she pulls down another ten
grand a year for 9 months of Church Choir leadership.

Musical content: "Chicago, Chicago, that toddlin' town...!" [ But, of
course, this isn't IN Chicago; it's in River Forest, an old-money village to
the near-West, resembling Houston's River Oaks.]

Charlie