[Dixielandjazz] Woolworth's "Cuisine"

Edgerton, Paul A paul.edgerton@eds.com
Thu, 26 Sep 2002 11:40:22 -0500

Charlie Hooks wrote,
>I'm still pining for those 35 cent Sunday dinners...

My early childhood was spent in small-town Minnesota. My grandfather was a
Woolworth company-man who worked himself up from the stockroom to the
executive washroom. I had more than a few of those cut-rate "Hot Roast Beef
Sandwiches, served open-face" from the lunch counter at the local dime
store.

I can clearly recall those slices of steam-table roast beef on white bread,
the mound of mashed potatoes with its little pool of brown gravy that was
also spread across the beef and the pile of green peas. I bet there's still
some of that stuff stuck under the table to this day.

Now this was circa 1962. Things may have changed from the 30's -- certainly
business was slower. I will always remember how much I enjoyed being with my
grandfather, but the food at F. W. Woolworth is one of those things best
allowed to fade in memory. And I know you didn't actually say Woolworth.

Jazz content: "I'll have the Frim-Fram Sauce"

Paul (I used my own money to leave a tip) Edgerton