[Dixielandjazz] Jazz diseases/ Occupational marks

Dan Augustine ds.augustine@mail.utexas.edu
Wed, 25 Sep 2002 18:20:53 -0500

>From: drjz <drjz@bealenet.com>
>Subject: Re: [Dixielandjazz] Jazz diseases/ Occupational marks
>Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 16:39:12 -0400
>
>Dan,
>The text of the tuba callus was what I quoted. I realise now that the instrument being played in the picture is a sousaphone, not a tuba. I assume this makes a difference. Cheers.
>Fred
Fred and others--
    Uh, no.  The sousaphone has the same kind of three-valve (rarely four-valve) arrangement as the tuba, with the little finger generally daintly scraping air. I fear somebody was having fun with whoever wrote this book.
    The only callus that all tuba- and sousaphone-players might have, now that i think on it, is on the inside of the right thumb, about halfway up, where the thumb presses against the inside of the thumb-ring.  I do have such a callus there, but nowhere else on my hand.

    Dan
--
** Dan Augustine - ds.augustine@mail.utexas.edu             **