[Dixielandjazz] Burnout and 'fun'

JimDBB@aol.com JimDBB@aol.com
Wed, 25 Sep 2002 00:23:26 EDT

--part1_18c.eab62b9.2ac2943e_boundary

In a message dated 9/24/02 8:57:47 PM Central Daylight Time, dwlit@cpcug.org
writes:

> Jim Beebe presumably has full-time professional musician's burn out--I
> gather music ceased to be fun, became just work, pressure from trying to
> make a living; since it was his vocation, he relaxed with other activities,
> took vacations that had nothing to do with music, etc.

   Well, my 'burnout' was enhanced by the fact that I have COPD which makes
having 'fun' with music a bit tougher.  I always enjoyed playing music or I
wouldn't have done it. I've never looked at it as 'fun' as in a frat house
jazz band.  It was a bit more serious to me.  Enjoyable as in accomplishing
something worthwhile artistically. The most enjoyable thing in the world to
me is performing good jazz with musicians who know what they are doing.
There is something very satisfying about it and on a different level, I
think, than 'fun.'  It is fun but it is more than that.

JIm Beebe

--part1_18c.eab62b9.2ac2943e_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 9/24/02 8:57:47 PM Central Daylight Time, dwlit@cpcug.org writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">Jim Beebe presumably has full-time professional musician's burn out--I<BR>
gather music ceased to be fun, became just work, pressure from trying to<BR>
make a living; since it was his vocation, he relaxed with other activities,<BR>
took vacations that had nothing to do with music, etc.</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; Well, my 'burnout' was enhanced by the fact that I have COPD which makes having 'fun' with music a bit tougher.&nbsp; I always enjoyed playing music or I wouldn't have done it. I've never looked at it as 'fun' as in a frat house jazz band.&nbsp; It was a bit more serious to me.&nbsp; Enjoyable as in accomplishing&nbsp; something worthwhile artistically. The most enjoyable thing in the world to me is performing good jazz with musicians who know what they are doing.&nbsp; There is something very satisfying about it and on a different level, I think, than 'fun.'&nbsp; It is fun but it is more than that.<BR>
<BR>
JIm Beebe<BR>
</FONT></HTML>
--part1_18c.eab62b9.2ac2943e_boundary--