[Dixielandjazz] Jazz diseases/ Occupational marks

Charlie Hooks charliehooks@earthlink.net
Tue, 24 Sep 2002 23:22:58 -0500

on 9/24/02 3:50 PM, Schnabbels@aol.com at Schnabbels@aol.com wrote:

> As far as occupational marks are concerned, here is one that applies
> exclusively to trombonists.

Try clarinetists: anybody ever tells you he's a clarinet player, look at his
right thumb.  If it doesn't have two BIG calluses--one on the inside edge
and another over the (inner edge of the) joint, he's lyin'.  Or retired.

In addition, I wonder whether saxophone players, developing young, might
well have a dislocation of the ribcage to the left side--from long holding
the instrument draped over the right side, twisted a bit, especially from
long playing in a section...?  My right shoulder is considerably lower, and
the lowest rib on my left side is well portruded from the twisted posture.
Otherwise, I'm so perfect that...well...nevermind...

Charlie