[Dixielandjazz] Jazz diseases/ Occupational marks

Schnabbels@aol.com Schnabbels@aol.com
Tue, 24 Sep 2002 16:50:49 EDT

--part1_22.2f35853a.2ac22a29_boundary

Hi Dr. Fred,

I find this an interesting thread. I agree with you that perhaps the
incidence of physical diseases among jazz musicians may not differ from the
general population to a statistically significant degree. Perhaps limiting
the research to mental health might be more revealing. I am thinking of areas
like depression, addictive behaviour (drugs, booze, nicotine, sex, yes that
too!), bi-polarity, relationship commitment etc.

As far as occupational marks are concerned, here is one that applies
exclusively to trombonists. I invite all trombone players on the list, that
is those who are right-handed and hold the instrument with their left hand
and move the slide with their right hand, to take a look at their left
pinkie. Specifically, to the inside of the first joint of the pinkie. I would
not surprise me if you notice an enlargement of the joint. Compare it with
the pinkie of your right hand. This is the result of how you routinely hold
the horn. Now, this will not have any impact on our life expectancy, but I
think it is interesting nonetheless. The only thing it does for me is that,
while I do not have particularly strong hands, I can snap a pencil with ease
between the fourth finger and pinkie of my left hand. Not that I have a
frequent need for that; it's just one of those things.

Speaking of frequent needs, another occupational mark which, I suppose,
applies universally to brass players, is the fact that we develop very strong
lip muscles. This may also apply to reed players who use double reeds, like
to oboe. These strong lip muscles come in handy under certain circumstances.
I could expand on that but, then again, I don't want to be thrown off this
list :>).

Regards,

Rob "Trying to keep in shape" van der Plas
Scottsdale, AZ

--part1_22.2f35853a.2ac22a29_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">Hi Dr. Fred,<BR>
<BR>
I find this an interesting thread. I agree with you that perhaps the incidence of physical diseases among jazz musicians may not differ from the general population to a statistically significant degree. Perhaps limiting the research to mental health might be more revealing. I am thinking of areas like depression, addictive behaviour (drugs, booze, nicotine, sex, yes that too!), bi-polarity, relationship commitment etc.<BR>
<BR>
As far as occupational marks are concerned, here is one that applies exclusively to trombonists. I invite all trombone players on the list, that is those who are right-handed and hold the instrument with their left hand and move the slide with their right hand, to take a look at their left pinkie. Specifically, to the inside of the first joint of the pinkie. I would not surprise me if you notice an enlargement of the joint. Compare it with the pinkie of your right hand. This is the result of how you routinely hold the horn. Now, this will not have any impact on our life expectancy, but I think it is interesting nonetheless. The only thing it does for me is that, while I do not have particularly strong hands, I can snap a pencil with ease between the fourth finger and pinkie of my left hand. Not that I have a frequent need for that; it's just one of those things.<BR>
<BR>
Speaking of frequent needs, another occupational mark which, I suppose, applies universally to brass players, is the fact that we develop very strong lip muscles. This may also apply to reed players who use double reeds, like to oboe. These strong lip muscles come in handy under certain circumstances. I could expand on that but, then again, I don't want to be thrown off this list :&gt;).<BR>
<BR>
Regards,<BR>
<BR>
Rob "Trying to keep in shape" van der Plas<BR>
Scottsdale, AZ</FONT></HTML>

--part1_22.2f35853a.2ac22a29_boundary--