[Dixielandjazz] Dr. Jazz

briantowers briantowers@msn.com
Tue, 24 Sep 2002 20:46:44 -0400

You have a lively imagination Steve.
I still maintain that the message intended in the lyric is that jazz is
lively, happy music and the ideal thing to cheer you up when you have the
blues. Once you have heard it, you are hooked, addicted etc.   Dr Jazz is
the music, not some drug pusher!    The lyric is innocent!

"He's the man who makes me get out both my dancing shoes."  This line gives
the main message.  If it was a drug adict shooting himself up with heroin or
whatever,  it is unlikely he would be wanting to dance around!
The writer means that it is  the "jazz" that is addictive.  It is the beat,
melody and excitement of the music that creates the urge to dance in the
song.  The music is so uplifting that one does not need drugs to enjoy it
properly.

I cannot see it as a hidden message for drug addicts.   The allusions you
mention, like "get me fixed etc" simply showed that this glorious hot jazz
music was addictive.

That's my spin on it, anyway!
Brian Towers,