[Dixielandjazz] Preacher Rollo

Patrick Cooke patcooke@cox.net
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 13:37:47 -0500

>>>I'm curious about your remark, "name-band sideman in the forties weren't
doing any better,"   It seems to me that Whiteman's musicians were paid very
well.  $200 then would be what?...$1000 today.  It is interesting that Henry
Busse got considerably more than everyone with the exception of Ferde
Grofe.<<<

        Considering the time period, they were paid extremely well.  I guess
I didn't phrase it exactly I meant it.  What I was getting at was that in
the forties, most were not doing as well, especially considering a war-time
and a post-war economy.   Ferde Grofe was listed as 'arranger'.

        Pat Cooke