[Dixielandjazz] More on Paul Whiteman

Patrick Cooke patcooke@cox.net
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 13:11:36 -0500

In an interview in 1958, Paul Whiteman was quoted as saying he had told the
leaders they were digging their own graves by featuring their vocalists
instead of concentrating on dancing.  There may be some truth to it.
    I remember in the 30s and early 40s when a recording listed not only the
bandleader's name, but also all of the sidemen; the vocalist was lucky to be
listed in the small print.  Sometime in the forties, the vocalist's name was
promoted to big print, and the band LEADER was lucky to be mentioned at all.
Sidemen were completely forgotten.  Can we blame all this on
vocalists?...part of it?
      Pat Cooke