[Dixielandjazz] Preacher Rollo

JimDBB@aol.com JimDBB@aol.com
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 00:29:25 EDT

--part1_6a.2686c919.2abff2a5_boundary

In a message dated 9/22/02 10:42:22 PM Central Daylight Time,
dingle@baldwin-net.com writes:

> Preacher Rollo was a drummer,last name of French extraction I dare not try
> to spell from rusty memory. I had a chance to work with him for part of a
> year at Jazz Ltd. in Chicago. When Freddy Kohlman left the house band
> Preacher came in for a period of time before leaving and being replaced by
> Barrett Deems. I think Jim Beebe was on the band at that tie as well.. Fair
> drummer,  with a badly injured hand but decetn timekeeper. Rather a bragger
> about things of dubious authenticity, but still an interesting character.
> Was from the West side of WI -- La Crosse or
> other river town.
> Think he was in Florida after that - this was about 1966- 0r '67 period.

   No, I wasn't on the Jazz Ltd. Band when Preacher Rollo was there.  In fact
I didn't know that he had been on that band.

   I remember well in my college days listening to Preacher Rollo's Dixieland
Breakfast Club radio show out of Florida. It was carried on midwest stations.
 A great little show whith a good band and feature numbers from Marie Marcus
on piano. This would have been late 40s or early 50s.

   Jim Beebe

--part1_6a.2686c919.2abff2a5_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 9/22/02 10:42:22 PM Central Daylight Time, dingle@baldwin-net.com writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">Preacher Rollo was a drummer,last name of French extraction I dare not try<BR>
to spell from rusty memory. I had a chance to work with him for part of a<BR>
year at Jazz Ltd. in Chicago. When Freddy Kohlman left the house band<BR>
Preacher came in for a period of time before leaving and being replaced by<BR>
Barrett Deems. I think Jim Beebe was on the band at that tie as well.. Fair<BR>
drummer,&nbsp; with a badly injured hand but decetn timekeeper. Rather a bragger<BR>
about things of dubious authenticity, but still an interesting character.<BR>
Was from the West side of WI -- La Crosse or<BR>
other river town.<BR>
Think he was in Florida after that - this was about 1966- 0r '67 period.</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; No, I wasn't on the Jazz Ltd. Band when Preacher Rollo was there.&nbsp; In fact I didn't know that he had been on that band.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; I remember well in my college days listening to Preacher Rollo's Dixieland Breakfast Club radio show out of Florida. It was carried on midwest stations.&nbsp; A great little show whith a good band and feature numbers from Marie Marcus on piano. This would have been late 40s or early 50s.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; Jim Beebe</FONT></HTML>

--part1_6a.2686c919.2abff2a5_boundary--