[Dixielandjazz] How do you you do it? Re: Virginia midi

Artwoo@aol.com Artwoo@aol.com
Mon, 16 Sep 2002 00:12:25 EDT

Hi John:
I was wondering what equipment and software do you use to produce such
authentic and inspiring midi files?

I agree with you that Fats Waller is at the top of the list for piano styling
from the 30's. While Art Tatum has more intricate technique and harmonic
surprises; Fats plays fluidly and with emotion.

By the way, lately I've taken an interest in Willie the Lion Smith...he
seemed like a pleasant guy. A CD I own entitled "Pork and Beans" produced by
1201 has Willie paying homage to some of his contemporaries: Luckey Roberts,
James P. Johnson, Eubie Blake, Fats Waller and Geo Gershwin. The selections
and Willie's commentary are very reverent. It seemed like Willie was
reminiscing and reflecting on the memories of his great friends.

Thanks again for sharing your talents with us.
Sincerely,

Art Wood
SF Bay Area