[Dixielandjazz] Jazz nomenclature

Bill Horton horton4jaz@earthlink.net
Sun, 15 Sep 2002 12:57:47 -0700

Rebecca quotes George Buck as saying "However, he says that in the early
days, the music was referred to as Jazz and everyone knew what that was.  He
calls it "authentic jazz".
Since those early days, all sorts of music have picked up on that name and
many times the label comes from the press.  He classifies Jazz in
two categories:  New Orleans Jazz and Chicago Jazz.  He says that even
"West Coast" has its roots in either of these two types.  To him,
Dixieland is a location, not a type of music."

To which I say amen.  We have too many labels for our music, and it has to
be confusing to the great unwashed.  Also, it puts "Dixieland" in its
proper, to me, place.

Bill Horton