[Dixielandjazz] Packing a banjo for air travel

Bill Gunter jazzboard@hotmail.com
Sat, 14 Sep 2002 05:06:12 +0000

Hi listmates,

I occasionally fly to a gig and take my banjo along with me. I check it
through with the regular baggage in my regular banjo case.

The case is pretty sturdy and can take a lot of abuse and the banjo fits
fairly snugly inside. But I take additional precautions when I pack it.

First I loosen all the strings and lay the bridge flat.

Next I remove the resonator and pack the interior of the banjo with all the
clothing (socks, shorts, hankies, whatever) to fill it up and then I replace
the resonator.

Then I put the banjo in the case and pack more clothing items around all the
spaces not occupied by the banjo (around the head and neck and anyplace else
I can squeeze an undershirt or two.

Then I lock the case and go ahead and ship it through.  No problems yet.

Cheers,

Bill "Love them banjos" Gunter
jazzboard@hotmail.com