[Dixielandjazz] Off Topic Postings, Final Word

Robert S. Ringwald ringwald@calweb.com
Fri, 13 Sep 2002 19:13:34 -0700

Listmates, I have asked you politely over & over & over & over, not to post
off-topic messages on DJML & not to post comments or arguments regarding
same on DJML.

Somehow a few of you just don't get it.

This is a JAZZ SPECIFIC MAILING LIST.  Peter Lovric set it up to be thus
before his death & it will stay same.

If you think a member or 2 or 3 want to hear about or discuss a subject
other than Jazz, then write to them privately.  At present we have over 270
members.  Just because maybe 3 or 4 of you want to discuss something other
than Jazz publicly, does not give you the right to inflict it on the other
265 members.

Believe me, I get plenty of off-list complaints & comments regarding what is
posted.

Most members respect the excepted procedure of DJML & write to me, or each
other, privately, not airing there complaints on the List.  However, there
always seems to be 2 or 3 who not only insist on posting off-topic messages,
but want to publicly defend their right to do so and then want to argue
about it.

I ask you again, PLEASE keep the off-topic messages off of DJML.

PLEASE keep the comments regarding same, off of DJML.

I know from the private comments that I receive that the overwhelming
majority of members do not want off-topic messages posted on DJML.  Frankly,
knowing this, I would be terribly embarrassed to be the one who is
persisting on doing so.

I am sorry to say this but am forced to do so.  If you don't like DJML, it
is very easy to unsubscribe.  If you can't figure out how to do it, let me
know & I'll do it for you.

I hope that no one does leave us over this matter.  However, we have lost
many good members in the past because of off-topic messages being posted on
DJML.

There is absolutely no reason why the list can not remain a Dixieland (Jazz
and related subjects) mailing list.  There are plenty of other mailing lists
available for you to join which will discuss subjects other than Jazz.
Don't bring off-topic message to DJML.

) One final word.  I am getting very tired of all of this.  I have the
ability to put any single member of DJML on a moderated basis.  This means
that I will have to approve your post before it shows up on the List.  I do
not want to do this for several reasons.

1.  Peter wanted this to be an unmoderated list.
2.  I don't have the time to deal with it.

However, if the off-topic messages continue, for the good of the List, I
will do so.

bob@ringwald.com