[Dixielandjazz] urge to innovate

john Petters jpettjazz@btinternet.com
Fri, 13 Sep 2002 09:29:52 +0100

Tito said
>My theory: if you want to express your poetry in Russian, first learn
Russian, it's grammatical rules and syntaxes, pronunciation, and then
put all your creativity to express your inspiration in this idiom. Jazz
is an Idiom;  we should learn it's syntaxes and pronunciation and then
express our creativity.   If some one wants to innovate, please go to
John Cage department. I like it too, and very much, but don't call it
Jazz.

Well said. OKOM requires a particular discipline. For those of us outside
the USA it is rhythmically different. That's why British trad of the 50s
(and today) bears little resemblance to the American music of the 20s, 30s &
40s. Jazz also has to be lived. The great innovators were voices because of
their life experiences and not because some college lecturer taught them how
to play 101 boring Coltrane runs.

John Petters
Amateur Radio Station G3YPZ
WWW.Traditional-jazz.com