[Dixielandjazz] Re: Unwritten Rules

Bill Gunter jazzboard@hotmail.com
Thu, 12 Sep 2002 20:39:26 +0000

Hi -

My sweetie, Nancy, writes to me:

>Dear, dear Billy,
>No one disputes your logic nor your right to pursue the almighty
>dollar.

Oh yes they do. It seems everyone is disputing my right to hand out my
business card which is a vehicle to my pursuit of the almighty dollar.

Furthermore, they're even keeping score: Bill = 1, The rest = 2,000,001!

>I "feel" this is about choice:
>MONEY or REPUTATION.

Maybe, but my feelings about money is that in an economy where we have to
make a living MONEY IS important and legitimate.

My feelings about reputation are that no matter what you do, ten percent
will find you reputable, ten percent will find you disreputable and the
other 80 percent won't give a damn or even know who you are.

Money = objective reality
Reputation = subjective and often invalid whimseys

>Sometimes, a good reputation leads to more money. (MHO).

Sometimes your business card leads to money.

Also, money is like air . . . it's not important unless you don't have any!

Love,

Bill
Jazzboard@hotmail.com