[Dixielandjazz] Unwritten rules??/

Charlie Hooks charliehooks@earthlink.net
Wed, 11 Sep 2002 10:08:38 -0500

--MS_Mac_OE_3114583720_4797413_MIME_Part

on 9/10/02 10:23 PM, Bob Romans at cellblk7@attbi.com wrote:

OK! A hypothetical situation...your band is booked at a local country club.
It pays $100 per man, and is a very nice gig!! Everything is going great,
the band is cookin'!
During the last break, you find the manager and let him know you've enjoyed
the gig, and you hope he'll call you again, so you hand him your card, and
he informs you that one of your sidemen, _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ just gave
him HIS card, and suggested he call HIM the next time if he wanted a band
since he, too, has a band.
What would YOU do?? Is this an ethical thing for a sideman to do? Would you
hire that sideman again for another gig?
This is purely hypothetical...it follows a discussion I had with a fellow
musician...as far as I know, it has NEVER happened to me! Just wanting to
find out the thinking of all of you old-timers out there, who have been
through all sorts of situations!
Is this an open market, where anyone can promote his band? I'm trying to
find out what leaders like Ringwald, Hooks, Barbone, Wiggins, and others
whose names I can't think of would do in a situation like this...
Thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions...
Bob Romans
Cell Block 7
Jazz Band
1617 Lakeshore Dr.,
Lodi, California, 95242
Phone.....209-368-3255
Cell...209-747-1148
Fax...209-368-3255
WebPages..click below
www.cellblockseven2002.net <http://www.cellblockseven2002.net>
>=iii=<0

   I'd find it hard to believe that anyone would do what you've just
described, but if someone did, then I'd first tell him, arm around his
shoulder and in private, that I couldn't believe he did it, and that it was
a real pity he had, since he'd just made it impossible for me to hire him
ever again!  I'd say something like, "Man, I'm really sorry you did that
[and I'd mean it !] but surely you do see now that I can't afford to hire
you--or any guy who would try to undercut me on a gig?  That was a really
dumb thing to do."

   And I would never call him again.   That kind of thing is a BIG NO NO.
I'd consider the guy, however talented, as more than a bit stupid and apt to
cause other problems down the road.

Charlie

--MS_Mac_OE_3114583720_4797413_MIME_Part

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: [Dixielandjazz] Unwritten rules??/</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
on 9/10/02 10:23 PM, Bob Romans at cellblk7@attbi.com wrote:<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE><FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial"><B>OK! A hypothetical situati=
on...your band is booked at a local country club. It pays $100 per man, and =
is a very nice gig!! Everything is going great, the band is cookin'!<BR>
During the last break, you find the manager and let him know you've enjoyed=
 the gig, and you hope he'll call you again, so you hand him your card, and =
he informs you that one of your sidemen, _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ just gave=
 him HIS card, and suggested he call HIM the next time if he wanted a band s=
ince he, too, has a band.<BR>
What would YOU do?? Is this an ethical thing for a sideman to do? Would you=
 hire that sideman again for another gig? <BR>
This is purely hypothetical...it follows a discussion I had with a fellow m=
usician...as far as I know, it has NEVER happened to me! Just wanting to fin=
d out the thinking of all of you old-timers out there, who have been through=
 all sorts of situations! <BR>
Is this an open market, where anyone can promote his band? I'm trying to fi=
nd out what leaders like Ringwald, Hooks, Barbone, Wiggins, and others whose=
 names I can't think of would do in a situation like this...<BR>
Thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions...<BR>
</B>Bob Romans<BR>
Cell Block 7<BR>
Jazz Band<BR>
1617 Lakeshore Dr.,<BR>
Lodi, California, 95242<BR>
Phone.....209-368-3255<BR>
Cell...209-747-1148<BR>
Fax...209-368-3255<BR>
WebPages..click below<BR>
www.cellblockseven2002.net &lt;http://www.cellblockseven2002.net&gt; <BR>
&gt;=3Diii=3D&lt;0<BR>
</FONT></FONT><BR>
</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
 &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;I'd find it hard to believe that anyone would do what yo=
u've just described, but if someone did, then I'd first tell him, arm around=
 his shoulder and in private, that I couldn't believe he did it, and that it=
 was a real pity he had, since he'd just made it impossible for me to hire h=
im ever again! &nbsp;I'd say something like, &quot;Man, I'm really sorry you=
 did that [and I'd mean it !] but surely you do see now that I can't afford =
to hire you--or any guy who would try to undercut me on a gig? &nbsp;That wa=
s a really dumb thing to do.&quot;<BR>
<BR>
 &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;And I would never call him again. &nbsp;&nbsp;That kind =
of thing is a BIG NO NO. &nbsp;I'd consider the guy, however talented, as mo=
re than a bit stupid and apt to cause other problems down the road.<BR>
<BR>
Charlie
</BODY>
</HTML>

--MS_Mac_OE_3114583720_4797413_MIME_Part--