[Dixielandjazz] Jazz and poetry

Charlie Hooks charliehooks@earthlink.net
Tue, 10 Sep 2002 22:30:13 -0500

on 9/10/02 2:16 PM, James Kashishian at kash@ran.es wrote:

> Anyway, Charlie, I was a tiny bit ahead of youse, methinks, as I had an
> XK150 (eat yer heart out!), which was a joy, and Vince Saunders had a
> 300SL Gullwing!  We weren't rich kids, just a bit crazy for sports cars.

Boy have you ever got that right!  That feeling of unleashed power you got
from sitting down low, the bonnet and fenders rising UP toward the
road--never gonna be replicated with high backs and low fronts!  In many
ways I liked the XK series--120, 140, 150--better than the XKE whose nose
you couldn't see and were always getting it caught in some guy's rear bumper
or putting a hole through your garage's rear wall!

If Vince still has that gullwing, he can sell it and pay off the national
debt.

I started with an Austin-Healey 4 cylinder that I foolishly sold for only
twice what I paid for it new: will not, simply will not, think of what it
would be worth now!  Aluminum body--no rust--ah, well...

Musical content?  "In My Merry Oldsmobile" ??

Charlie

PS. "Uh, Charlie, even Miles Davis admitted to having THREE loves;  jazz,
drugs & sex.  He also said he was never able to settle on the order of
those 3 items!!"  I got news for Miles: if you don't trash the drugs, the
sex goes first but then, also, irretrievably, the jazz.  Luckily, he died
young enough to be remembered as merely a highly talented a..hole.

C.