[Dixielandjazz] Categorization [was: Dixieland]

David W. Littlefield dwlit@cpcug.org
Tue, 10 Sep 2002 23:13:43 -0400

At 04:59 PM 9/10/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>So far, I have stayed out of the labeling discussion. but I have to go along
>with the guy that says "It's all dixieland"...
>       Unless someone plays exactly like someone else, he is a category unto
>himself....and the path to distinction is not to play like someone else, no
>matter how great they are.  I still say the idea of categorizing and
>labeling is an exercise in futility....there are as many categories as there
>are good players...it's all "music".
>       Pat Cooke

As often as Pat and some others decry categorization, I'm gonna defend it,
on the grounds that it's necessary for communication and reference. It's
only an "exercise in futility" if one pushes it too far and tries for
*perfection*. People need terms to describe the music they enjoy and want
to hear, buy, read about.
--Sheik
David W. Littlefield, Piano, Guitar, Banjo, Washboard
Compiler: "Dixieland FB" (Bb, C); "30S-40S FB (Bb, C)"; "Gig Book"
http://cpcug.org/user/dwlit (Dixie playalong list, other tools)
http://americanmusiccaravan.com (Fake Books, Sound Clips, public performances)
eMail: dwlit@cpcug.org