[Dixielandjazz] Dixieland and New Orleans jazz

Anton Crouch a.crouch@unsw.edu.au
Wed, 11 Sep 2002 11:16:26 +1000

Hello all

Brian Harvey's distinction between the Dixieland of the late 30s small
groups and the New Orleans jazz of the early revival is important. I agree
- they are quite different.

Brian also asks the important question - was the early revival style (eg
Bunk Johnson and George Lewis) actually new? I also think not.

For an example of the "antiquity" of the revival style, listen to Louis
Dumaine's recordings of March 1927. If it wasn't for the presence of a
tenor sax, Dumaine's work could be mis-identified as 1940s recordings.

All the best
Anton

PS: please, please listen to Dumaine's recordings and, among other
magnificences, marvel at the playing of clarinetist Willie Joseph. He's in
the same class as Johnny Dodds.