[Dixielandjazz] George Lewis

brian.harvey5 brian.harvey5" <brian.harvey5@ntlworld.com
Tue, 10 Sep 2002 16:36:51 +0100

Jim Beebe wrote.................. I understand 'Dixieland' jazz to denote
the original polyphonic-counterpoint form of jazz and this is certainly what
George Lewis was playing...including the same repertoire that every
'Dixieland' group played...............

Without getting into a very long discussion I just cannot agree that what
the Lewis band played was Dixieland. I know that the word is used even today
by New Orleans bands to describe what they play but among enthusiasts and
students of the music, not musicians, the word Dixieland means something
more akin to the Condon style of things which of course Jim Beebe was an
absolute ace at. I do not have the skill to describe New Orleans jazz in
front of this audience of musos but I do feel that it was something
different - perhaps the emphasis on ensemble work would be the most obvious
feature.
Brian Harvey