[Dixielandjazz] George Lewis

JimDBB@aol.com JimDBB@aol.com
Tue, 10 Sep 2002 11:29:58 EDT

--part1_f5.21ba9d2b.2aaf69f6_boundary

In a message dated 9/10/02 9:27:38 AM Central Daylight Time,
brian.harvey5@ntlworld.com writes:

> . The sound it created whilst not being as new as I had
> previously thought (see below), was totally different to anything being
> played at that time. If you listen to the bands of Sharkey and others in
> NO - and Kid Ory - you see the difference. Everyone else was playing
> Dixieland - in that context the Lewis sound was new.

   and Georg Lewis was not playing 'Dixieland?'   I understand 'Dixieland'
jazz to denote the original polyphonic-counterpoint form of jazz and this is
certainly what George Lewis was playing...including the same reportoire that
every 'Dixieland' group played.  I had the good fortune to spend 3 days in
New Orleans in 1951-52.  I was underage but had a good fake ID card.  I heard
all of the bands in French Quarter night clubs...Sharkey, George Lewis, the
brand new Dukes of Dixieland, Tony Almerico, Papa Celestine, Leon Prima and
others.  I love them all, in particular, Sharkey and George Lewis.  Sitting
in a bar, right in front of the George Lewis band was absolutely captivating.
 They were rough hewn but the beat they had, the ensemble feel that rolled
along getting hotter as it went along, Lewis' s magical counterpoint lines
weaving around the ensembles,  Jim Robinson's snapping trombone and Kid
Howard...they turned me into believers.  But the other bands were equally
good, playing much the same repertoire with their own touch.

The original George Lewis band as he took it over from Bunk Johnson was very
special and was never the same when replacements started coming in.

Jim Beebe

--part1_f5.21ba9d2b.2aaf69f6_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 9/10/02 9:27:38 AM Central Daylight Time, brian.harvey5@ntlworld.com writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">. The sound it created whilst not being as new as I had<BR>
previously thought (see below), was totally different to anything being<BR>
played at that time. If you listen to the bands of Sharkey and others in<BR>
NO - and Kid Ory - you see the difference. Everyone else was playing<BR>
Dixieland - in that context the Lewis sound was new. </BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; and Georg Lewis was not playing 'Dixieland?'&nbsp;&nbsp; I understand 'Dixieland' jazz to denote the original polyphonic-counterpoint form of jazz and this is certainly what George Lewis was playing...including the same reportoire that every 'Dixieland' group played.&nbsp; I had the good fortune to spend 3 days in New Orleans in 1951-52.&nbsp; I was underage but had a good fake ID card.&nbsp; I heard all of the bands in French Quarter night clubs...Sharkey, George Lewis, the brand new Dukes of Dixieland, Tony Almerico, Papa Celestine, Leon Prima and others.&nbsp; I love them all, in particular, Sharkey and George Lewis.&nbsp; Sitting in a bar, right in front of the George Lewis band was absolutely captivating.&nbsp; They were rough hewn but the beat they had, the ensemble feel that rolled along getting hotter as it went along, Lewis' s magical counterpoint lines weaving around the ensembles,&nbsp; Jim Robinson's snapping trombone and Kid Howard...they turned me into believers.&nbsp; But the other bands were equally good, playing much the same repertoire with their own touch.<BR>
<BR>
The original George Lewis band as he took it over from Bunk Johnson was very special and was never the same when replacements started coming in.<BR>
<BR>
Jim Beebe</FONT></HTML>

--part1_f5.21ba9d2b.2aaf69f6_boundary--