[Dixielandjazz] Re: Mouth trombone, etc

JimDBB@aol.com JimDBB@aol.com
Thu, 5 Sep 2002 11:47:13 EDT

--part1_a3.2dfc8073.2aa8d681_boundary

HenryStinson@earthlink.net writes:

> I've been learning mouth trombone.  For mouth trumpet,
> sometimes I cup my hands around my mouth, like the lead
> guy in the singing group in the movie, "The Harmonists", did.
> (I Highly recommend the movie, by the way.  It's about an
> excellent harmony singing group of about 5-6 men that formed
> in Germany in the late 1930s -- Hitler Germany.  They were
> very popular and especially got huge ovations when the one
> guy did the mouth trumpet.

I also do mouth trumpet without any cup, and just do a form
> of scat with the sound coming from the back of my throat squeezed
> down.  Often we get the first real round of applause of the night
> the first time I do mouth trumpet, and after that we've broken the
> ice and people clap for other individual solos.
>
> For mouth trombone, I find I get the best tone when I use
> a large plastic cup-shaped device, about quart size or slightly
> larger.  the clear plastic cover that one gets when one buys a
> stack of 50 CDs works very well.

   Henry, you will get a better tone and certainly one more befitting your
talent if you will get a whoopee cushion and sit on it.  With just the right
body movements you can get a neat sound and this will probably get you more
applause than your mouth trumpet solos.

> Next time any of you come to the Washington, DC area,
> come to hear me sing and play with Orpheus Jazz Ensemble
> (a quartet) or the Blue Heaven Jazz Band.  I'm performing
> with Orpheus this Sunday, Sept 8th, from 7 to 10 PM at a
> Thai restaurant, Bangkok Blues, in Falls Church, VA, just outside DC.

I think that I will pass on this...thanks.

> About the comfrey... I used to grow it (lost my plants through moving
> many times), and kept a few of the leaves, which get quite large,
> and their thick stems, which are filled with magical, healing,
> mucilaginous fluid, in plastic bags in the freezer, so that even in winter
> I had them on hand for emergencies.

Henry...Eddie Condon's cold cure works better...take the juice of one quart
of whiskey.

> I once had a cold sore that had been an open, running sore
> for a couple of weeks.  I decided to try the comfrey. It suddenly
> healed over with pink new skin in three hours after I put
> on some fresh comfrey mixed with golden seal (another herb).
>     Another time,...
> I sliced the fleshy part of my finger badly with a circular electric saw,
> put on some comfrey and antibiotic, and put a Band-Aid over it
> to hold that in place.  I think it was the next day that the wound
> was sealed shut again.  If only doctors would try this for surgical
> patients.  Plastic surgeons in particular would find their patients
> able to take the bandages off sooner.  It heals cuts and wounds
> and greatly reduces formation of scar tissue.

    Henry...you are one fantastic guy.  Not only have you mastered the art of
mouth trumpet and mouth trombone, you have discovered the secrets to surgical
healing. A real ice-breaker.

Jim Beebe

--part1_a3.2dfc8073.2aa8d681_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 9/5/02 9:32:18 AM Central Daylight Time, HenryStinson@earthlink.net writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">I've been learning mouth trombone.&nbsp; For mouth trumpet,<BR>
sometimes I cup my hands around my mouth, like the lead<BR>
guy in the singing group in the movie, "The Harmonists", did.<BR>
(I Highly recommend the movie, by the way.&nbsp; It's about an<BR>
excellent harmony singing group of about 5-6 men that formed<BR>
in Germany in the late 1930s -- Hitler Germany.&nbsp; They were<BR>
very popular and especially got huge ovations when the one<BR>
guy did the mouth trumpet.</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
I also do mouth trumpet without any cup, and just do a form</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">of scat with the sound coming from the back of my throat squeezed<BR>
down.&nbsp; Often we get the first real round of applause of the night<BR>
the first time I do mouth trumpet, and after that we've broken the<BR>
ice and people clap for other individual solos.<BR>
<BR>
For mouth trombone, I find I get the best tone when I use<BR>
a large plastic cup-shaped device, about quart size or slightly<BR>
larger.&nbsp; the clear plastic cover that one gets when one buys a<BR>
stack of 50 CDs works very well.</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">&nbsp;&nbsp; Henry, you will get a better tone and certainly one more befitting your talent if you will get a whoopee cushion and sit on it.&nbsp; With just the right body movements you can get a neat sound and this will probably get you more applause than your mouth trumpet solos.</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">Next time any of you come to the Washington, DC area,<BR>
come to hear me sing and play with Orpheus Jazz Ensemble<BR>
(a quartet) or the Blue Heaven Jazz Band.&nbsp; I'm performing<BR>
with Orpheus this Sunday, Sept 8th, from 7 to 10 PM at a<BR>
Thai restaurant, Bangkok Blues, in Falls Church, VA, just outside DC.</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
I think that I will pass on this...thanks.<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">About the comfrey... I used to grow it (lost my plants through moving<BR>
many times), and kept a few of the leaves, which get quite large,<BR>
and their thick stems, which are filled with magical, healing,<BR>
mucilaginous fluid, in plastic bags in the freezer, so that even in winter<BR>
I had them on hand for emergencies.</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
Henry...Eddie Condon's cold cure works better...take the juice of one quart of whiskey.<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">I once had a cold sore that had been an open, running sore<BR>
for a couple of weeks.&nbsp; I decided to try the comfrey. It suddenly<BR>
healed over with pink new skin in three hours after I put<BR>
on some fresh comfrey mixed with golden seal (another herb).<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Another time,...<BR>
I sliced the fleshy part of my finger badly with a circular electric saw,<BR>
put on some comfrey and antibiotic, and put a Band-Aid over it<BR>
to hold that in place.&nbsp; I think it was the next day that the wound<BR>
was sealed shut again.&nbsp; If only doctors would try this for surgical<BR>
patients.&nbsp; Plastic surgeons in particular would find their patients<BR>
able to take the bandages off sooner.&nbsp; It heals cuts and wounds<BR>
and greatly reduces formation of scar tissue.</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Henry...you are one fantastic guy.&nbsp; Not only have you mastered the art of mouth trumpet and mouth trombone, you have discovered the secrets to surgical healing. A real ice-breaker.<BR>
<BR>
Jim Beebe<BR>
</FONT></HTML>
--part1_a3.2dfc8073.2aa8d681_boundary--