[Dixielandjazz] John Cage & silence

GWW174@aol.com GWW174@aol.com
Wed, 4 Sep 2002 19:55:18 EDT

Re: silence... In the audio engineering world, we have a device called an
anecohlic chamber (bad spelling)... a room with absolutely NO reflection of
sound waves... total absorbtion... in other words the only sounds you can
hear are direct sound from the source... like your heart beat.  I have been
in one for a very short time.... some people can't take it for more than a
minute or so.

What seems to happen is that your ears adjust to the lack of input... and
become more and more sensitive... more accute... to the point where you can
hear the blood flowing through your veins... hear your heart beating.... a
very nerve racking thing.

sort of torturous.

Gordon