[Dixielandjazz] Re: "Hold that train"

Bill Haesler bhaesler@nsw.bigpond.net.au
Thu, 05 Sep 2002 08:52:36 +1000

Dear Bill,
The only "Hold That Train" I can come up with was a Doctor (Peter) Clayton
version ("Hold That Train, Conductor") recorded on 7 Aug 1946 and issued on
Victor 20-1995. 'Blues Who's Who', gives Clayton as the composer. It is
available on CD in the Austrian Document series (Old Tramp OTCD-05.)
The reference to "Bloody Mary Sings the Blues" comes from Miss Hall's role in
the stage show 'South Pacific'.
Refer quote below:
'Hall was one of the leading black Broadway stars of the 1950s. In 1949 she was
cast as Bloody Mary in the Pulitzer Prize-winning play, South Pacific, starring
Mary Martin and Ezio Pinza. She went on to capture the role of Madame Tango in
the 1954 musical, House of Flowers, starring Diahann Carroll. This was followed
in 1958 with Flower Drum Song, where she played the principal role of Madame
Liang, a mature Chinese lady.'
I have some Doctor Clayton sides and also 'Juanita Hall sings Bessie Smith'.
Just dug it out - and guess what? 'Hold That Train' opens side one on the LP!
(Storyville SLP 113).
No composer credits anywhere, unfortunately.
The cover notes say "...a blues completely traditional in lyrical and melodic
concept."
Bessie Smith DID NOT record "Hold That Train", notwithstanding the title of the
Juanita Hall album.
I have a mate who may have the Doctor Clayton CD. If so, we could compare the
lyrics with Miss Hall's.
I will be back (as Arnie once said).
Kind regards,
Bill.