[Dixielandjazz] Pete Fountain's concert rhythm

Charlie Hull chhull@pacbell.net
Tue, 03 Sep 2002 15:40:53 -0700

I had the same impression when I heard Fountain at the L.A. Sweet  & Hot
last year.  I don't know if it was the same sidemen you heard, but the
Fender bassman was playing legato notes and the drummer's travel agent had
sent him on a different trip.  Pete would have been much better off, from
this listener's point of view, with any of several outstanding rhythm
sections at the festival, but I guess he knows what he wants.

I certainly found no fault with his playing.  I love the liquidity of his
sound.  One of my heroes.

Charlie Hull