[Dixielandjazz] Pete Fountain concert

Rob McCallum rakmccallum@hotmail.com
Tue, 3 Sep 2002 14:50:05 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_002B_01C25359.30BECA80

Hello all,

As I mentioned last week, Pete Fountain closed the 99% modern Ford =
Detroit Jazz Festival this year (first time an OKOM group has been an =
evening headliner).  There was a good sized crowd on hand (though, =
comparably, the volume for the entire weekend was down this year), and =
the crowd really had a good time.  He ended up with a standing ovation =
and came back to play an encore.  This was the first time I'd heard Pete =
Fountain live and I must say, his horn line was very impressive =
(excellent trombone player) and the pianist was excellent also (sorry =
that I can't recall any of the sidemen's names).  I was dissapointed =
with the rhythm section, I don't know what the problem was.  The =
drummer, who was younger (perhaps he was a last minute sub?) was really =
off.  There was a serious time problem, his set ups were awkward =
(sometimes missed them entirely) and really had a tendency to speed up.  =
Towards the end, if it was an uptempo tune, by the end they were flying, =
getting faster and fluctuating.  The bass player (who, incidentally, was =
playing a fender electric), seemed to go right along and it was =
difficult to tell if the drummer was just dragging him along so he gave =
up, or if he was part of the problem.  I know that playing on those =
outdoor stages can be difficult, but the bass amp was very close to the =
drummer and there are monitors galore up there.  As well, I heard bands =
on the same stage all weekend long and there wasn't a problem.

That aside, the audience enjoyed the show and it was a good plug for =
OKOM.

All the best,

Rob McCallum

------=_NextPart_000_002B_01C25359.30BECA80

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hello all,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>As I mentioned last week, Pete Fountain =
closed the=20
99% modern Ford Detroit Jazz Festival this year (first time an OKOM =
group has=20
been an evening headliner).&nbsp; There was a good sized crowd on hand =
(though,=20
comparably, the volume for the entire weekend was down&nbsp;this year), =
and the=20
crowd really had a good time.&nbsp; He ended up with a standing ovation =
and came=20
back to play an encore.&nbsp; This was the first time I'd heard Pete =
Fountain=20
live and I must say, his horn line was very impressive (excellent =
trombone=20
player) and the pianist was excellent also (sorry that I can't recall =
any of the=20
sidemen's names).&nbsp; I was dissapointed with the rhythm section, I =
don't know=20
what the problem was.&nbsp; The drummer, who was younger (perhaps he was =
a last=20
minute sub?) was really off.&nbsp; There was a serious time problem, his =
set ups=20
were awkward (sometimes missed them entirely) and really had a tendency =
to speed=20
up.&nbsp; Towards the end, if it was an uptempo tune, by the end they =
were=20
flying, getting faster and fluctuating.&nbsp; The bass player (who,=20
incidentally, was playing a fender electric), seemed to go right along =
and it=20
was difficult to tell if the drummer was just dragging him along so he =
gave up,=20
or if he was part of the problem.&nbsp; I know that playing on those =
outdoor=20
stages can be difficult, but the bass amp was very close to the drummer =
and=20
there are monitors galore up there.&nbsp; As well, I heard bands on the =
same=20
stage all weekend long and there wasn't a problem.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>That aside, the audience enjoyed the =
show and it=20
was a good plug for OKOM.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>All the best,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Rob McCallum</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_002B_01C25359.30BECA80--