[Dixielandjazz] Strine and Fraffly

Don Ingle dingle@baldwin-net.com
Tue, 3 Sep 2002 08:39:48 -0400

Then there's astrange New Orleans dialect. An example was when Monk Hazel
spotted my dad one day in N.O. and cald out from across the
street..."Hared...if I'd node yuwuz cuman I'da biked use akaik."
Tranlation: Hey Red, If I'd knowned ywuz coman
I'da clum upapole 'n woven atcha!"

Translation: "Hey Red -- If I'da known you was coming I'da climbed up a pole
and waved at you.!"
Ahh, drummers...a language and world of their own.
Don Ingle
----- Original Message -----
From: "Anton Crouch" <a.crouch@unsw.edu.au>
To: "DJML" <dixielandjazz@ml.islandnet.com>
Sent: Tuesday, September 03, 2002 2:34 AM
Subject: [Dixielandjazz] Strine and Fraffly

Hello John

Now that we all know about Strine, it's time to reveal the true depths of
Professor Afferback Lauder's research.

He also discovered Fraffly - the language spoken by some denizens of the
south of England.

A sample:

"Sholleh you compy sirius. Shears a fess lecker bet lex, end four thombs.
Ay fender paw stiffleh noss yetting."

"Meddier boy, youm snofferget her femmlair are Bocksher people, enchies
fraffly clefferetter renching flozz."
     (Lauder 1968:55)

Translating into English, we get:

"Surely, you can't be serious. She's a face like a battle axe, and four
thumbs. I find her positively nauseating."

"My dear boy, you must not forget her family are Berkshire people, and
she's frightfully clever at arranging flowers."

Aorta do something about it.

Anton