[Dixielandjazz] Strine and Fraffly

Anton Crouch a.crouch@unsw.edu.au
Tue, 03 Sep 2002 16:34:38 +1000

Hello John

Now that we all know about Strine, it's time to reveal the true depths of
Professor Afferback Lauder's research.

He also discovered Fraffly - the language spoken by some denizens of the
south of England.

A sample:

"Sholleh you compy sirius. Shears a fess lecker bet lex, end four thombs.
Ay fender paw stiffleh noss yetting."

"Meddier boy, youm snofferget her femmlair are Bocksher people, enchies
fraffly clefferetter renching flozz."
     (Lauder 1968:55)=20

Translating into English, we get:

"Surely, you can=92t be serious. She=92s a face like a battle axe, and fo=
ur
thumbs. I find her positively nauseating."

"My dear boy, you must not forget her family are Berkshire people, and
she=92s frightfully clever at arranging flowers."

Aorta do something about it.

Anton