[Dixielandjazz] More on Lu Watters?

Dan Augustine ds.augustine@mail.utexas.edu
Thu, 31 Oct 2002 11:02:51 -0600

Folks--
    Lately i've been wanting to read more about Lu Watters.  I already have and have read (and re-read) the two books from the San Francisco Traditional Jazz Foundation (at http://www.sftradjazz.org) called _Emperor Norton's Hunch_ by John Buchanan, and _The Great Jazz Revival_ by Pete Clute and Jim Goggin.  They have whet my whistle for more about Lu Watters.
    I have also found a couple of websites with some paragraphs about him, but what i want i guess are newspaper and magazine articles written about (and by) him, especially while he was still alive.  I'm especially curious how someone with his talent (both for playing and composing) could abruptly quit and do something else (apparently as a cook for some state institution) for the rest of his life (except for the Bodega Bay concert, of course).
    I've already started to go through the UT library's copies of the _Reader's Guide to Periodical Literature_, starting about 1940, but before i dive into that and the _Music Index_, does anyone know of any other books or bibliographies on Lu Watters?  Are there any books (histories, etc.) with substantial sections or chapters on ol' Lu and/or the Yerba Buena Jazz Band?
    Thanks.

Dan