[Dixielandjazz] RE: CD royalties?

tito martino tmartino@terra.com.br
Thu, 31 Oct 2002 10:48:15 -0200

Hi Dave,

John Mumford wrote:
<<<Anyone can copyright an arrangement of someone else's song whether it
is public domain or not.  When this happens and you use the arrangement
you pay royalties to both.>>>

Well, if you play Jazz, you are your own arranger, YOU compose and
arrange ANY TUNE, public domain or not, as long as you play! If you
never use written parts, you don't play exactly as written in the
registered part and ipso facto you is not liable of paying anything.
But you can ask royalties for YOUR own unique arrangement of each tune,
as recorded by your Band. I will be astonished if someone appears
willing to pay YOU!

If I can, I will never pay royalties for Jazz tunes written 50 or 70
years ago, especially because nobody tells me were this money will
finish.=20
When I play Indiana, I take the original melody as a source to my
inspiration, and what I play after is my own property; I only have to
accept other jazzmen doing the same with MY tunes.=20
For instance, Charlie Hull (K Street Ramblers, from DJML) asked
"permission" to record my tune "Hot One" in his next CD. Of course I
gave permission, of course I won't charge anything, he will make his own
arrangement.   Of course too, IF his arrangement hits a top ten and
sells a gold disc, I HOPE he will be fair enough to share 10% with

Cheers and keep swinging,

Tito=20

Tito Martino Jazz Band
S=E3o Paulo   Brasil=20