[Dixielandjazz] Harry Fox

JimDBB@aol.com JimDBB@aol.com
Thu, 31 Oct 2002 00:20:02 EST

--part1_79.116ea17.2af21782_boundary

In a message dated 10/30/02 11:17:53 PM Central Standard Time, JimDBB writes:

> In a message dated 10/30/02 10:55:57 PM Central Standard Time,
> john@jazzbanjo.com writes:
>

> >> Several people have emailed me off list about specific questions
>> regarding
>> Harry Fox.  I answered those questions off line as well.  There is some
>> confusion on Harry Fox's webpage as to how to pay royalties.  If you do it
>> on line they are probably going to get you for more money than you should
>> pay.  I would suggest you call them and ask for the forms to do it
>> manually.
>> This is what the record companies do.  I have heard too many stories where
>> people have tried to use the website and they were told they had to pay
>> royalties for songs such as "Camptown Races" (because it is listed for
>> arrangements).  You need to research each song for the date originally
>> pulished and the composers name.  Using with these two pieces of
>> information
>> you can check ASCAP and BMI.  There is one word of caution though,
>> publishers do not have to register with a royalty collecting organizations
>> such as those two.  It may be under copyright and not listed with any of
>> the
>> agencies.
>>
>> If you want to reprint sheet music that is a whole different game.  You
>> have
>> to get permission directly from the publisher and negotiate a fee.
>>
>> John Mumford
>> Jazz Banjo Magazine
>> Jazz Banjo Radio
>> www.jazzbanjo.co
>
>    Cripes, haven't you read my post and others.  Forget about Fox, ASCAP,
> BMI and that whole scam.  These people are not RCA...they don't have to pay
> a damn thing.  You are going right along with this whole swindle.
>
>     'Camptown Races' ...right.
>
>     Jim beebe

--part1_79.116ea17.2af21782_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 10/30/02 11:17:53 PM Central Standard Time, JimDBB writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">In a message dated 10/30/02 10:55:57 PM Central Standard Time, john@jazzbanjo.com writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">Several people have emailed me off list about specific questions regarding<BR>
Harry Fox.&nbsp; I answered those questions off line as well.&nbsp; There is some<BR>
confusion on Harry Fox's webpage as to how to pay royalties.&nbsp; If you do it<BR>
on line they are probably going to get you for more money than you should<BR>
pay.&nbsp; I would suggest you call them and ask for the forms to do it manually.<BR>
This is what the record companies do.&nbsp; I have heard too many stories where<BR>
people have tried to use the website and they were told they had to pay<BR>
royalties for songs such as "Camptown Races" (because it is listed for<BR>
arrangements).&nbsp; You need to research each song for the date originally<BR>
pulished and the composers name.&nbsp; Using with these two pieces of information<BR>
you can check ASCAP and BMI.&nbsp; There is one word of caution though,<BR>
publishers do not have to register with a royalty collecting organizations<BR>
such as those two.&nbsp; It may be under copyright and not listed with any of the<BR>
agencies.<BR>
<BR>
If you want to reprint sheet music that is a whole different game.&nbsp; You have<BR>
to get permission directly from the publisher and negotiate a fee.<BR>
<BR>
John Mumford<BR>
Jazz Banjo Magazine<BR>
Jazz Banjo Radio<BR>
www.jazzbanjo.co</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; Cripes, haven't you read my post and others.&nbsp; Forget about Fox, ASCAP, BMI and that whole scam.&nbsp; These people are not RCA...they don't have to pay a damn thing.&nbsp; You are going right along with this whole swindle.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 'Camptown Races' ...right.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Jim beebe</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
</FONT></HTML>
--part1_79.116ea17.2af21782_boundary--