[Dixielandjazz] Historic Site Saved (?)

Rob McCallum rakmccallum@hotmail.com
Wed, 30 Oct 2002 23:37:42 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_0040_01C2806D.581113E0

Hello all,

I just read some surprisingly good news on the front page of today's =
(Oct. 30th) Detroit Free Press.  It appears that the once posh and =
historic Book-Cadillac Hotel is going to have a new lease on life.  The =
skyscraper, which has been abandoned and falling apart for nearly 20 =
years, was once Downtown Detroit's grandest hotel with a ballroom that =
spanned the length of nearly half a block.  Built in 1924, the hotel =
hosted many big bands in it's day, including Jean Goldkette's =
Book-Cadillac Orchestra (see the Red Hot Jazz Archive site).  Though =
we'd heard rumors that the building was being "examined" to assess it's =
condition for renovation, that has generally meant the production of a =
document "proving" that the building is unsalvageable and must be razed =
to make way for a dull concrete / glass rectangle or, as is more often =
the case, a vacant lot.  What a shock to read today that the 2 =
competitors to refurbish the structure are none other than Marriott and =
Hilton.  Both are offering plans and the idea is that the project will =
be completed in time for the 2006 Super Bowl which will be held at the =
Lion's new downtown stadium (Ford Field).

The article can be viewed at =
www.freep.com/money/business/book30_20021030.htm=20

For anyone interested, there are some websites that contain pictures =
from the Book-Cadillac's heyday as well as pictures of it's current =
state of disrepair, e-mail to me offlist and I'll forward the addresses =
to you.

All the best,

Rob McCallum

Eastpointe Jazz Society

------=_NextPart_000_0040_01C2806D.581113E0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hello all,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I just read some surprisingly good news =
on the=20
front page of today's (Oct. 30th) Detroit Free Press.&nbsp; It appears =
that the=20
once posh and historic Book-Cadillac Hotel is going to have a new lease =
on=20
life.&nbsp; The skyscraper, which has been abandoned and falling apart =
for=20
nearly 20 years, was once Downtown Detroit's grandest hotel with a =
ballroom that=20
spanned the length of nearly half a&nbsp;block.&nbsp; Built in 1924, the =
hotel=20
hosted many big bands in it's day, including Jean Goldkette's =
Book-Cadillac=20
Orchestra (see the Red Hot Jazz Archive site).&nbsp; Though we'd heard =
rumors=20
that the building was being "examined" to assess it's condition for =
renovation,=20
that has generally meant the production of a document "proving" that the =

building is unsalvageable and must be razed to make way for a dull =
concrete /=20
glass rectangle or, as is more often the case, a vacant lot.&nbsp; What =
a shock=20
to read today that the 2 competitors to refurbish the structure are none =
other=20
than Marriott and Hilton.&nbsp; Both are offering plans and the idea is =
that the=20
project will be completed in time for the 2006 Super Bowl which will be =
held at=20
the Lion's new downtown stadium (Ford Field).</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The article can be viewed at <A=20
href=3D"http://www.freep.com/money/business/book30_20021030.htm">www.free=
p.com/money/business/book30_20021030.htm</A>=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>For anyone interested, there are some =
websites that=20
contain pictures from the Book-Cadillac's heyday as well as pictures of =
it's=20
current state of disrepair, e-mail to me offlist and I'll forward the =
addresses=20
to you.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>All the best,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Rob McCallum</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Eastpointe Jazz Society</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0040_01C2806D.581113E0--